Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/2/11


It continues hot, and the paper said the weather seems to be holding older people hostage, afraid to get out in the heat. Maybe here is wisdom that comes with the years.

Here is a quote that gives food for thought.
“He who provides for this life,
But gives no care for eternity,
Is wise for a moment,
but a fool forever.”
-John Tillotsn

History shows that God’s people never have it easy. Oh, there are stretches of easier living for them. But in most places and at most times, God’s children are ever under assault. Sometimes by hostile assault, sometimes by smiling seduction.

People who believe Jesus Christ died for their sins and so offers life eternal don’t find an easy time of it. Never have – never will. Their identity or their life is under constant threat, sometimes openly, often subtly.

And yet, they survive, and thrive. The pressure often tends to strengthen their resolve and deepen their convictions. Because they are driven to look deeply at what their Lord lays before them in the Holy Bible.

An early church father expressed it, “The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church”.

Jesus reminded us, “In the world you will have tribulation, but take heart, I have overcome the world.” John 16,33.

So Psalm 71 speaks to us truly.
“In You, O Lord, I have taken refuge,
Let me never be put to shame.
Rescue me,
And deliver me in your righteousness.
Be my rock of refuge,
To which I can always go;
Give the command to save me,
For you are my rock
And my fortress.”
Such a person is wise for eternity, for His trust is in God’s promise.

GPD 8/2/11

No comments:

Post a Comment