Friday, July 29, 2011

Shade Tree wisdom 7/29/11


“This is the day that the Lord has made, Let us rejoice and be glad in it”. Psalm 118, 24. In my rejoicing I slowed, then stopped, as a duck family slowly walked across the highway. They looked neither left nor right, just ventured across, and traffic stopped, to allow them to cross.

But the great cause for rejoicing is that this is our 66th wedding anniversary, and my mind is flooded with memories, of that day, and the years together under God’s rich blessing all these years.

The day was warm and sunny with a slight breeze that ruffled tree leaves. It was pleasant, you know, the kind one gets in July only in Wisconsin. The church bells rang as we approached the church, then the hymn Ruth had chosen for our processional. A happy choice indeed.

“Lord, take my hand and lead me upon life’s way,
Direct, protect, and feed me, from day to day.
Without your grace and favor, I go astray.
So take my hand, O Savior, and lead the way.”
LSB 722,1

Then the dinner, and celebration, leaving us with a stock of warm memories. As I write these words I am waiting for tomorrow when Ruth is scheduled to come home from rehab where she has been spending time after she broke a bone in her foot and had to learn to put weight on it again.

Meanwhile I am going visiting with a rose in my hand to remember and quietly celebrate the day.

Here I have the Kodak picture frame running family pictures. There is a Christmas family picture, another at Hidden Lake Gardens, a favorite Sunday afternoon visiting place for the family. Here is one at the Lake, and yes, here comes our youngest riding her unicycle. That was all she wanted one Christmas, so we found one, and she taught herself to ride. She learned it well enough to surprise us when she rode in the town’s fourth of July parade. That got people all excited,” Look there”, they’d say, “She is riding a unicycle. Isn’t that Pastor’s daughter?”

And now the lord has given grandchildren who all are sources of joy and blessing daily. And tomorrow is our first great granddaughter’s first birthday. My cup runneth over, great is Thy faithfulness.

“Lord, when the shadows lengthen, and night has come, I know that You will strengthen my steps toward home.
Then nothing can impede me, O blessed Friend, So take my hand and lead me, until the end,.” V.3

GPD 7/29/11

No comments:

Post a Comment