Thursday, July 14, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/14/11


The longer this heat persists, the more I feel the words spoken by the psalmist:


“Do not cast me away when I am old,
Do not forsake me when my strength is gone.” Ps. 71,8.


It is July, and the heat extends nearly to the Canadian border through the Midwest, and there seems to be no letup in the near future. The Tropics are quiet also, no storm stirring. A small system crossed the coast in Mexico but it brought only rain, no winds and destructive forces.

The continued heat seems to sap one’s energy and causes us to long for better.

And I am wondering whether St. Paul had such moments that caused him to confess, “When I am weak, then I am strong”2 Cor.12,10. For when he had been praying to have a ‘thorn in the flesh’ removed, the Lord told him, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.” V.9. So he learned again to lean entirely on God.

When we forget that, lean on and trust God, we are in trouble. And maybe this weather reminds me again that God is there always and keeps the promise He made us all, “Lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the world.”

For this world is in great need of divine wisdom and help. Our country is trying to deal with debt and crisis, and in the debate they seem to forget that one thing we ought to do first and foremost and pay down debt, not raise the limits some more.

The generation before us put a man on the moon, built an interstate highways system, an incredible network of airports, the intercostals waterway, a strong electrical grid, a higher education system that attracted thousands from around the world, and hospitals second to none in innovation and service. And they did it with very little debt.

It seems today all we can do is line up at the public trough.

We pray,


Lord God of hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget, lest we forget” Thee.


GPD 7/14/11

No comments:

Post a Comment