Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/25/11


I was reminded recently of a line from the musical, THE KING AND I in which the king sings,


“When I was a boy, world was a better spot,
What was so, was so, what was not, was not.
Now I am a man;
World has changed a lot,
Some things nearly so,
Others nearly not.”


When Christ came as The Truth, He gave us a common center to rest on. “One Lord, One faith, One baptism, one God and Father of us all, who is above all and through all and in all” Eph. 4,5.

And when we come to accept this by the Holy Spirit, it gives us a common bond of interest between people, uniting us in one under one head, Jesus Christ.

The problem lies in the fact that not all accept this Truth. When Jeremiah was sent as prophet, the Lord gave him this word. “Announce this to the house of Jacob and proclaim it to Judah. Hear this you foolish and senseless people. Who have eyes but do not see, who have ears but do not hear.” Jer. 5,20-21.

You, however, belong to the elect. Jesus said, “You have not chosen me, I have chosen you.” John 145,16. Not because you are special in any way, or more worthy, but simply because the Lord loved you. Check this out in Deuteronomy 7, 6-8.

Now to such St. Peter writes a letter. It’s from the old fisherman who has fallen and been restored through forgiveness. He writes to “A chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” 1 Peter 2,9.

Peter writes further, “I will always remind you of these things even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you have. I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made known to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things.” 2 Peter 1, 12-15.

We live in perilous times. Let us remember always we are His children, under His caring, fatherly eye “until the end of the age.”

GPD 7/26/11

No comments:

Post a Comment