Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/19/11


It’s raining slightly even as I write these welcome words, but I look out of my window and also see a dying tree in the nearby distance. The drought is taking a toll indeed, and much moisture is necessary to gainsay that. Let us keep on praying for that.

“I would rather be a doorkeeper in the
House of my God,
Then dwell in the tent
Of the wicked,.” Psalm 84,10.

That’s a pretty strong word to speak, and mean it. But it does fit right into the entire theme of that Psalm. “My soul yearns even faints, for the courts of the Lord.” V. 2, he writes. And then, “Blessed are those who dwell in your house, they are ever praising you” v.4.

Does this fit our eagerness of worship in this year also? Do we come, anticipating, longing, and leave filled, satisfied, strengthened and encouraged for the week?

During my years in active ministry I often would find a worshipper still in the pew, Bible open on the lap, reading the words of God again and settling them more firmly in the mind, or discussing quietly with a friend what these particular Words of God’s book mean for their life.

Because that is what worship does. It lift us up to higher ground, away from the hustle and bustle of daily life, from much activity and haste, to hear from God. To see again how rich the blessings of God are in our life, and to be heartened to know that God is here with us, in this place and this time, to be “in us”, as Paul teaches us. We belong here, because we are part of His flock, made so by Holy Baptism. What a glory is this.

So, my Christian friend, fellow believer, sister and brother in Christ, let our time of worship be so rich and fulfilling, so strengthening and satisfying, for us also, that, with the Psalm, we say, “My soul longs for the courts of the Lord.”

So, my son, “The Lord gives wisdom, and from His mouth come knowledge and understanding” Prov.2,6

GPD 7/19/11

No comments:

Post a Comment