Saturday, January 7, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 1/7/12


          It’s often the little things that matter.  An example is the other morning when a heavy sea fog had drifted along the coast, and smoke from burning fires added to the gloom along the highway near Port Arthur, Texas, and 79 cars, travelling at speed, crashed into each other, and not a single life was lost.
One driver described it as “driving into a tunnel.  I hit my brakes, but crashed into the car in front of me.”  And no lives were lost because, authorities said, “People stayed in their cars till help arrived”. 

          In another instance a thief broke into a parked car and stole a briefcase and a computer, which had a device that one could track it.  The thief also got two tickets plus a parking ticket for the Texans football game today.  (As soon as the theft was reported, those tickets were automatically nullified.)  But the police also have the home address of the thief.  Little things.

          The Christian life is made up of just such little things, beginning with doing what God commands.  “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction”. Prov. 1,7  For the Psalm teaches, “I am wiser than my enemies, I have better insight than all my teachers, because I think of the truths you wrote.  I understand better than the old men, because I follow the way you want me to live..” Psalm 119, 98-100.

          David had learned this before he even tackled Goliath.  Armed wih his shepherd’s staff and a sling, he went out, he said to the braggart, “The battle is the Lord’s, and He will give you into our hands.” 1 Samuel 17,47.  And so it happened. “Little things’.

          I believe that what the lord lays before me as truth, is truth, and I can and do depend on this truth which teaches, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved.”  A simple gift from God.

GPD 1/7/12

No comments:

Post a Comment