Friday, July 27, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/26/12


          “Oh,how I love your law,
           It is my meditation all the day .
           You, through your commandments,
           Make me wiser than my enemies;
           For they are ever with me., , ,
           Through your precepts I get understanding,
           Therefore I hate every false way.” Ps. 119,97.98.104

          The writer also says, "I have more understanding than all my teachers” and this “How sweet are your words to my taste.” And finally he mentions that there are “false ways” that a person so easily slips into unless he is guided by God’s Word.

          Merriam-Webster defines common sense as “sound judgment based on a simple perception of the situation or facts.” In short, using the knowledge we have available to pick a course of action.

          In light of that simple explanation I might ask of society today, ‘Where has common sense gone?”

          I think of James, a student in fourth grade. A good student, attentive and active in class, obedient, well-mannered, a Boy Scout working on his Eagle Scout badge. He went on a field trip in early fall. Got back Sunday night and got ready for school next day. He stuffed his books into his back pack as usual, but forgot he had a scout knife from the trip forgotten in that pack and at school somebody saw it and mentioned it. WELL!

          That School had a ‘zero tolerance’ policy in effect, so police were called, James was hauled off to juvenile authorities, and it finally ended when parents got involved and talked some sense in a principal who was carrying out their “zero tolerance” rule and not using one bit of common sense.

          Is this the way we want our world to operate? I suggest we give some real thought to the policies we accept and include a modicum of common sense into our way of life again.

          May I ask you to join me in praying for such a life.

GPD 7/27/12

No comments:

Post a Comment