Saturday, December 15, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 12/15/12


          In these days people think about lots of things, what to buy for whom, whom to skip this year, and about how taxes will turn out in the next year if nothing much happens in the Congress. And that reminds me of a little story.

          “I work for the IRS, and part of my job is to check claimed deductions. The other day I checked a contribution and automatically checked the salary. This is one we will have to check, and he’d better be able to back it up.

          So I called the man in and asked him for proof. Usually we get lots of double talk, but this man handed me a notarized statement by the Church treasurer, and we allowed the claim.

          But we got to talking a little, especially about life and he invited me to his church the next Sunday. “No thanks,” I said, I belong to a church”.

          “Funny,” said he, as he walked out the door, “I would never have guessed it.”

          That remark puzzled me till the next Sunday when the offering plate came around and I tossed in my usual dollar. Suddenly it struck me. This man gave better than 10% each week, and I gave a dollar. Makes a difference when you are a Christian, or simply belong to a church”.

          So, Serve the Lord with gladness, and allow not the exigencies of some law or other to change that.

          “Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness,
           And all these things will be added unto you”, said our Lord.

GPD 12/15/12

No comments:

Post a Comment