Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdon 12/26/12


Christmas 2012

          Bells at Christmas.

          I grew up in an area where every church had a steeple, and every steeple had at least one bell. The larger churches usually had three which were tuned to ring in a cadence.

          So the Longfellow poem that begins,
              “I heard the bells on Chrismas day,
               Their old familiar carols play,
               In Music sweet, their tones repeat,
               ‘There’s peace on earth, good will to men’.”
was quite meaningful. When we heard the Church bells ring out on a crisp December morning, they really did sort of sing out the story,
              “Christ is born, the Savior of the world is here.”

          We hardly ever give any thought to the sound of bells any more. As I write this, I really find it hard to identify any church nearby that even has a set of bells to ring. (Maybe they do so elelectronically, and there is a difference from the real thing.) Gus was my bell ringer while I served nearly 17 years in Adrian, Michigan. He had been taught by the company that installed the bells, for they were a tuned set, and when rung properly they sang, not just clanked away, but literally sang their song. And when properly rung it was a sound that delighted the ear.

          And I miss that sound, especially at this time of year. Imagine with me, the air is bright and clear, the sound carries well, and we are on our way to worship. Wonderful to imagine it, is it not.

          With that thought I leave you for this Christmas Season, and wish for you a blessed Christmas and rejoicing that the Lord Jesus, the Babe of Bethlehem, is our Savior and our Lord.

GPD 12/26/12

No comments:

Post a Comment