Monday, August 5, 2013

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/2/13

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/2/13

     The dog days are fully upon us, and we enter the hottest part of the year. It is a relaxing time isn't it, or should be, at least.

     In such times I often reach for old favorites from the books on my shelf. Yes, I do treasure holding a book in my hand. Anyway, old favorites in which the author takes the time and makes the effort to use words that sort of sing. They leap from the page and the matters under discussion take on fresh meaning. 

     There are bits and pieces of books I have marked, and like to re-read and think about. I imagine you have such favorites too, don’t you?

     By the way, an interesting article in the WSJ this morning mentioned the popularity of audio books. It reports that Amazon offers 25,000 titles, and hopes soon to have 100,000 at hand. And then the article mentions several people who rarely read anything, but have gotten into the habit of listening to books while commuting, or at lunch. It speaks of one person, college graduate, who claimed he hardly ‘cracked a book’ during his years at college, and now reads at least 5 books every month. (I wonder if he has student loan debt to pay yet).

     The Old Testament prophet Zechariah said, “Speak the truth with one another; render in your gates judgments that are true and make for peace”.8,16. That is one reason I cherish some writings, they help me be more precise and specific in writing and conversation. The goal, and many seem to have forgotten that, is to “speak truth one with another.”

    Make that a goal for your speech too, won’t you?

 GPD 8/2/13

No comments:

Post a Comment