Monday, September 29, 2014

Shade Tree Wisdom 9/29/14


          There is a statue in The Woodlands that shows a lad standing on the shoulders of another and it’s meant to illustrate the truth that “I have seen farther because I stood on the shoulders of another”.

          Each generation profits from the work of others, that is a truth.  So there are high moments, we call them “ahah” times.  But life really isn't lived there. 

          Dietrich Bonhoeffer talked of small things.  In his "Life Together", he writes: “We prevent God from giving us great spiritual gifts He has in store for us because we do not give thanks for daily small gifts.” 

          Often daily life is much of what we call “same old, same old”, repetitious and even dull and boring.  There’s nothing exciting about changing a diaper, or disciplining a child.  A morning walk when it is blustery and spitting rain is not exactly fun, but we do it for health reasons.  In my long-ago morning walks I was often joined by a mutt who appeared, checked out the bushes along the way, and when I neared home he disappeared.  

          I hope this leads to a truth we must remember, “Lo, I am with you always even to the end of the world.” Our God is there, in the large, as well in the small moments and experiences. Let that truth enrich your life daily. And may God bless. 

GPD 9/29/14

No comments:

Post a Comment