Monday, December 10, 2007

Shade Tree Wisdom 12/10/07

Kind of misty this morning. As a matter of fact, it was raining when I got up, but had stopped by the time I was ready for the walk. So, do I go, or not? Do I take an umbrella, or not? Do I just pick up the paper and skip the walk. Well, I walked, and it didn’t rain, but it remained misty.

Thanks to all who took the time to send a line saying my scribble reached your house. Really amazing, this stuff, isn’t it?

I notice while walking some houses leave their decorating lights on all night, some do not. It’s a matter of habit, I assume.

But it does bring to mind that yearly puzzle, why do lights we put away so carefully come out in a tangle the next year? Well, stick with me a bit, and I shall offer the solution. A solution by the way, offered after research by the U of California and the U of Pennsylvania math department. One suggestion is to hang the lights over the rafters in the back of the garage. Their study found that any string of lights, if it had one end free and was jostled a bit, would become tangled, and the more shaking, the worse the mess. So store the lights with ends joined, and the cords packed tightly, and let them alone.

Now that was simple, wasn’t it?

I was paging through a Popular Science issue lately and marveled at the advanced technology already here or just over the horizon. For an example, they are testing the scramjet engine, capable of flying at speeds up to 15 mach, 10,000 mph. Or something that will replace the cable for internet connections. It is almost too much.

Then I remember it was a little squirrel, looking for some new taste, that brought the whole thing to a halt when it nibbled through a cable.

I urge us to remember, “My times are in Thy hands”. He it is who created it all, and keeps it in His gentle care. Praise His holy Name.

GPD 12/10/07

No comments:

Post a Comment