Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Shade Tree Wisdom 12/12/07

Boy, I got in a short walk before the rains started again. But I did get a walk in. And I thought how often we just take God’s riches and blessings for granted.

The report of the icy conditions through the Midwest reminded me of the years we served in Missouri. The Mexico/Vandalia parish was 35 miles apart, and I drove that each Sunday. The Only time I missed was one Sunday when ice had blanketed the entire area, trees were losing branches, and 21 miles of telephone wires were down when one pole broke, and the domino effect took down the rest with the lines heavy with ice. So I called Mr. M, in Vandalia and said I wouldn’t be coming. He replied, “There’s nothing moving here, Pastor, and we weren’t expecting you”. Certainly, we prayed for safe travel, but always expected to be home again for the service in Mexico.

We do tend to take God’s presence and shelter for granted, do we not?

One other thought, during all that travel, I had one flat tire along the way and had no jack. So I went to the farmhouse where it happened, and asked for help. The man, who happened to be a vet, jumped in his truck, jacked up the car, replaced the tire, took nothing but my thanks, and I was on my way in five minutes.

The Psalm has it so right.

“O Lord, you have searched me, and you know me,
You know when I sit, and when I rise;
You perceive My thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out, and my lying down,
You are familiar with all my ways”. Psalm 139, 1-3.

So He does, and God is always right there with us, blessing, guiding, leading, and keeping, so that “No harm shall befall thee”. So the rain falls, and I am dry, because God supplies all my needs. And I am grateful.

GPD 12/12/07

No comments:

Post a Comment