Monday, December 3, 2007

Shade Tree Wisdom - Our Heritage 12/3/07

One of the street lights is out along the way I usually go. Finally, last Friday it was, I called the power people and reported it. Now I am waiting to see if it will be on by next Friday, because their rule is to respond in 7 days. We shall see, IF I remember.

Because we do have trouble remembering, don’t we? Quick, tell me your mother’s birth date. See.

So the psalm said, “I remember the days of old. I meditate on all Thy works” Ps. 143,5. Or read psalm 77. Again and again it says “I will remember” or “I meditate”. He doesn’t want to forget what God has done in their history.

This is a theme for the prophets also. They say things like, “Teach them to your children” and “remind them”. “Teach them diligently to thy children” and “write them on the door posts of thy house” Moses had said in Deuteronomy 6.

So remembering became important to this people. So, when the tribes of Reuben, Gad, and half of the tribe of Manasseh had helped their brethren take the land of Canaan, they were allowed to go back to their own land on the other side of the Jordan river. But when they came to the crossing, they decided to erect an altar as a remembrance. When the rest of the people heard this, they were ready to go to war because they thought these tribes had set up their own god. They were pleased when they heard this altar was a way to remember God.

Remembering is one thing the Church ought to do. St Peter said, “As long as I am alive I will remind you” 2 Peter 1,12.13. In chapter 3 he says “I have written to stimulate you to wholesome thinking, recall the words spoken in the past by the holy prophets and the command given by our Lord and Savior through his apostles.” V.1.2.

The Lutheran Church has a rich heritage. It is exciting and instructive to read what struggles they went through to keep the truth of the Gospel pure for us today. We do well to pay attention to that, and find in such study and remembering strength for our journey, for the battle is active so long as the earth remains. But we rejoice in this, that our Lord said, “I have overcome the world”. Thank God for being able to claim that victory as ours.” He’s judged, the deed is done,. The Kingdom ours remaineth”.

GPD 12/3/07

No comments:

Post a Comment