Thursday, July 16, 2009

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/16/09

Psalms 90:1-2 (MSG)
1 “A prayer of Moses, God, it seems you've been our home forever;
2 long before the mountains were born, Long before you brought earth itself to birth, from "once upon a time" to "kingdom come"—you are God.”

The Proverbs adds this thought, “Better a dry crust, with peace and quiet, than a house full of feasting with strife.”

Both have in mind the longing of the human heart for being in a place where one is wanted, needed, and feels secure.

St. Paul, who knew a bit about travel, said “I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances”. (Phil 4,11). And Hebrews writes “Be content with what you have, because God has said, ‘never will I leave you, never will I forsake you’.” Heb. 13,5

Americans are great list-makers. Here comes MONEY magazine with a list of America’s 100 best small towns. I checked that with interest and asked: ”what is it they are looking for?” Well, schools, for number one, then safety, convenience, what does it offer for things to do, how are the churches, and the people. And most are within easy reach of large cities which offer an occasional ball game or theater production, concert, etc.

What struck me is that we have lived next door to several in Michigan, and one in Wisconsin is near neighbor to where I grew up. I know them to be pleasant places, but I liked where I was better. And I think that is true for all of us. We get used to a place, it is familiar, we know where to turn for any service, we know where the shops are and where to go to buy our milk and bread. So the list may be all right because it sells magazines but it will not make any of us uproot our lives to move there, will it?

So, St. Paul’s writing to Philippians holds true, ”I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to heave plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who give me strength: Phil. 4,12-13. Let’s end with another word from St. Paul, “but godliness with contentment is great gain.” 1 Tim 6,6.

GPD 7/16/09

No comments:

Post a Comment