Friday, July 31, 2009

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/31/09

Rejoice with me over the nice refreshing rain today. It looks as if it might go on for some time, and we so need it. But the weatherman says, “Then comes a sauna.” He’s so supporting.

I told you about my visiting Wal-Mart yesterday. The vitamins I got were made in Utah and in New York. By some logistical magic they came to the shelf where I picked them up. But think of the logistics involved in such an enterprise. The store was filled with items for sale from dresses to watermelons! All, every bit of it, came by truck. And when I bought the items I bought, the machine automatically subtracted from inventory and told them “You have 23 left, better order”, and maybe that’s automatic as well. It’s really amazing, isn’t it?

But the visit also brought nostalgia. I thought of the sights and smells, especially the smells, of an old fashioned hardware store. The tools with their smell of machine oil, the leather gloves, I think I have some in the drawer stored. But the odor lingers. Nails in kegs, nuts and bolt to buy individually. Now everything comes boxed and wrapped in plastic which one needs a special tool to open. But safe from shoplifters. And I can still hear my Father give his order and add, “And better give me several pounds of 8 penny nails. We’re building a corn crib.”

When you needed shirt, you went to the men’s clothing store. There they were, on shelves and cases, and the ties to go with it, and then the display case full of cuff links. When was the last time you even saw a man wear a French cuffed shirt? (Do you even know what it is?) They were class. I believe I still have several pairs of links, one with my initials in cursive script. Ah, memories.

But even then times were changing, because that is the nature of things, to change and grow. But one thing we an always count on. “I am the LORD. I change not”. One thing that gets in the way is the fact that we are born sinners. Solomon, at the dedication of the temple, heard the Lord tell him about the people who often wandered from the Way. “If my people. . .will humble themselves, and pray, and seek My face, and turn from their wicked way, then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land”. 2 Chronicles 7,14. But St. Paul, years and years later, warned, “a time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine,.. because they have itching ears, heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn from the truth, and be turned aside unto fables.” 2 Timothy 4,3.4. And Jesus lamented, “The hearts of this people have grown cold. Their ears are hard of hearing, and their eyes they have closed. Matthew 13,15.

That’s the change we can never allow for our living. Let it always be God’s Truth that guides, directs, blesses, and brings salvation in Christ. Amen, let it be so.

GPD 7/31/09

No comments:

Post a Comment