Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Shade Tree Wisdom 7/28/09

It was really nice this morning, the breeze was actually refreshingly cool. Pleasant, and I and this dog had the time to ourselves. It was quiet, because it wasn’t talking either. Had nothing to add, I suppose. And I was safe because the dog took care of checking both sides of the street. How much better does it get?

So I was thinking about events and happenings today. We are learning so much that we never knew before, including the fact that a common shrew is the fiercest creature on earth. What’s that? It looks a little like a mouse, weighs in at a little over an ounce, and has to eat its weight several times a day or die of hunger. It is valuable because it dispatches hordes of insects of every kind daily.

What you just read is truth, and most people will simply read it and say, “Boy, I never knew that”, and go on.

Why do we find people doubting the Holy Scriptures more and more? Creation, well, there are lots of theories, and scientists haven’t really found the beginning yet. But they are learning more all the time. But the story of Creation written for them in Holy Scripture seems beyond understanding. Much too simplistic, too simple.

Then along comes archeology and shows that what is written there actually happened.

For an example; Jerusalem was not captured by Israel till the time of King David, and then the Jobusites, who lived in the city, boasted to King David, “You will not get in here, even the blind and the lame can ward you off” 2 Samuel 5,6. David’s solution, ‘Whoever does this will have to use the water shaft”. Joab led that assault, used the water shaft, climbed into the city and was in it before the Jebusites knew what had happened. And archeology discovered just such a water shaft into the city! How did David know about it? Well, as a lad he roamed this area and probably people talked freely about this secret access to water in case of attack. Whatever, it turned out to be true.

The Psalmist said “Thy Word is Truth”. Jesus prayed in His High Priestly prayer, “Sanctify them by the truth, Thy Word is Truth” John 17,17.

For us, Psalm 119 contains much to read, learn, meditate on, and lean on in trust and faith. “How can a young man keep his way pure”, by living according to your word. I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. I delight in your decrees, and will not neglect your word. I am a stranger on the earth, hide not your commands from me (Oh, how I need a map), This has been my practice, I obey your precepts.” Many other verses like that are common and loved by every Christian.

GPD 7/28/09

No comments:

Post a Comment