Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 5/17/11



Cool enough for a light jacket, and this morning I watched as two of those big yellow boxes met on our quiet street, and they each needed all the street they could use to pass by. Outside of that, nice walking on this nice morning with birds busily singing.

Lots of news, besides the waters flooding the midsection along the Mississippi River. We pray for those who have to leave whatever they’d accumulated to waters, hoping there will be something left when life returns to normal.

Other news is that The Woodlands will host an Iron Man competition starting Saturday morning with a 2.4 mile swim in Lake Woodlands, then a 112 mile bike ride, which is followed by a 26.2 mile run. There are some 2800 entrants from all over, so hotels and venues here will be busy. No major streets will be closed and city workers will be on hand to keep traffic moving.

Then Drayton McClane sold the Houston Astros for 680 million to a group of investors. He was the owner for 17 years and saw some good years and some down years also. Among highlights for him was to have two super stars, Biggio and Bagwell, play their entire career with this team.

And the government has reached its debt ceiling again. I really believe the politicians are finally getting the message and are trying to bring the debt down. [As an aside, I think if some housewives who know how to live with a strict budget were in charge the debt would not be what it is, for they would insist that politicians would also be paying what they proposed.]

Here are the words of Agur, the son of Jakeh:


“Every word of God is pure; He is a shield
Unto them that put their trust in Him.
Two things have I required of Thee; deny them
Not before I die.
Remove far from me vanity and lies; give me
Neither poverty nor riches; feed me with food
Convenient for me.
Lest I be full and deny Thee and say, Who is the Lord?
Or lest I be poor, and steal, and take the name of
My God in vain.” Proverbs 30, 6-9


GPD 5/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment