Thursday, May 5, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 5/5/11


“Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth;
Keep the door of my lips”. Ps. 141,3.

The Message translates “Post a guard at my mouth, Lord, Set a watch at the door of my lips.”

The commandment reads: “You shall not give false testimony against thy neighbor” and explains it means “to put the best construction on everything”.

Some of the same men who crafted the Constitution also helped craft the constitution of Virginia, and in that they had this sentence, “No free government, nor the blessings of freedom, can be preserved. . .but by frequent recurrence of the fundamental principles.”

The first principle ought to be listening when the psalmist says, “Careless talk may ruin everything.” Ps. 13,3.

Ever hear so many different opinions about the Bin Laden thing? Seems everybody has an opinion, and wants to state it. Some of these are careful, well-thought-out and filled with sense. But so many are just strident expressions that need to be shouted on any media on which they can get a hearing.

I offer this prayer for such times.
“O Lord, in these tumultuous times,
Preserve me from the tyranny of words,
And tune my ear to Thy Word,
I pray this In Jesus’ blessed name.
Amen”.

GPD 5/5/11

No comments:

Post a Comment