Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 5/24/11


Kind of strange, isn’t it? Here I am taking my morning walk. The sky is bright and air is cool, the grumbling buses are on time on their usual morning run, birds are singing cheerfully, the day promises to be filled with sunshine and easy summer weather. All seems serene. Till I pick up the morning paper and read of the disaster in Joplin, waters still rising along the Mississippi, the mid-East is still in unrest, and the president’s flight plans have been changed slightly because of a volcano in Iceland.

And the opening lines of the Sunday Choir Anthem strikes me.
It reads,

“Though mountains slide into the sea,
And waters rush where fields should be.
Though monuments and nations fall,
Your holy city stands through all.
When nothing seems to stay the same,
You teach us your eternal name.
I am forever Who I am,
Above you, beneath you, around you and within you.
Be still, and know that I am God.”
[I Am Forever Who I Am – Richard W Wiegman/Kurt E. vonKmapen]

Most of the time, our lives run along a track we know well, are familiar with, and can handle. It’s our life, after all.

It’s when things come along and interrupt the life, as the events I mentioned in the first paragraph, that life gets filled with stress, with fears of the unknown, and anxieties and worries. Unless we have a steady anchor, a touchstone, it can become hard.

And it is just for such times that the Christian does have an anchor. He hears His Lord and God, Jesus Christ, say to him, “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you. Not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14,27.

Jesus speaks to you, let the Word and the Promise bring peace when troubles come.

GPD 5/24/11

No comments:

Post a Comment