Thursday, November 17, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 11/17/11


          Today is November 17th, and according to Google’s age calculator that makes me 91 today.  And I am ever thankful for the years the Lord has allowed me.  I ask myself how have I used these years?

          My father remembered the date well because it was the day in which he first was able to use the new barn for his herd of dairy cows.

          One of the highlights of my early years was reaching age 16 and getting my first driver’s license.  Just sent a quarter to the state capital and back came this bit of paper.  All they wanted was proof of age, no eye test, no driving test, just US mail.  The cost has increased considerably since then, and the State of Texas demanded that I get eye glasses.  I guess that happened around age 85 or so.

          And going to Concordia in Milwaukee to start the long trek that ended when I was ordained into the Holy Ministry on September 9, 1945.  I, who had never slept in any place but the quiet country, suddenly transported to a noisy city where a streetcar clanked past every half hour day and night.  What an adjustment.

          Then graduation, cum laude, and the first call as assistant at Immanuel in St. Charles, Missouri.  Then to a dual parish in Mexico and Vandalia, Missouri.  Happy years of work and blessing.

          The next move was to northern Michigan, then nearly 17 years in Adrian Michigan followed by some 11 years in Detroit, from where I retired on my 65th birthday.  Then we moved to Texas because we wished to see the grandchildren grow up, and they have.  I guess they are all taller than I am, much so.  And a source of blessing and contentment..

          But the world has changed since I came into it.

          Then most people still believed there is a God, and most had a conscience, knew the basic Scriptures, probably could recite the ten commandments, and tried their best to use them as a guide for the way they lived.  So they knew the difference between right and wrong.  And had a guide to give them direction.

          I find today people are often simply content to “follow the leader”.  Someone called this a herd mentality, never looking to see where it would lead just going the way the crowd did.  Without asking whether it might be right or wrong.

          An ancient prayer of confession includes the lines, “we have erred and strayed from Thy way like lost sheep”.  The great temptation today, it seems to me, is not being willing or able to make such a confession.

          But I have also found there are still many good, honest, people, quietly serving their God, living their Christian lives, and having a quiet influence on their world.  That is our hope for which we pray.  They are the ones who believe, “His eye is on the Sparrow, and I KNOW He watches me.”  Bless God for His faithfulness.

GPD 11/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment