Friday, August 17, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/17/12


          It seems to happen when one least looks for it. We miss a person who had been around, and when we ask, we are told “She’s retired and they moved to Missouri to be near their family.”

          So I wonder, “Where do the years go? Down what time tunnel are the days poured out? We are young, and the years stretch before us. The world lies there for us to live in. Challenges to meet and work to do, things to accomplish and other things to solve. Then suddenly the days no longer stretch so far. The words of the September Song suddenly make sense, ‘and the days grow short, when we reach September.’”

“And the autumn weather turns the leave to flame,
And I haven’t got time for the waiting game.”

          But listen, it’s no time for despair, or “I wish I had”, but to turn with confidence to our God, who has given us these days.

“Our God, our help in ages past,
Our hope for years to come,
Our shelter from the stormy blast,
And our eternal home.” LSB 733,1.

Indeed, “Time like an ever-rolling stream,
Soon bears us all away,
We fly forgotten as a dream,
Dies at the opening day”. V.5

          So no more looking back with longing. Enjoy the memories, and they are sweet and precious. Live the hours He grants today, and enjoy His grace and mercy under His eternal eye.

“If my days in earth He lengthen,
God my weary soul will strengthen,
All my trust in Him I place.
Earthly wealth is not abiding,
Like a stream away is gliding,
Safe I anchor in His grace.” 732,6

          My wish and prayer for you and me, “Safe I anchor in His grace”.

GPD 8/17/12

No comments:

Post a Comment