Thursday, August 30, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/30/12


          All over this land classes are beginning, from pre-school to graduate school, and many persons have many thoughts about themselves now.

          How well I remember my first day at college at Concordia, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I was in the first room on the first floor, the youngest of four.  My parents were long gone, and I was facing my first classes the next morning.  State street ran alongside the building, and one of the street car lines ran on State street.  The cars ran every fifteen minutes till 12, then only every half hour.  I lay in my bed, kept awake by home sicknesses and the noises of the night I was not accustomed to.

          But I survived, as you all will too.

          For the promises of the Lord, our God, are for exactly such moments in our lives.  When we feel alone, and face what seem impossibly difficult tasks, then we Know the Lord is “an ever-present help in trouble.” as Psalm 46,1 begins.

          The Psalm ends with this rich promise: “The Lord Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our Refuge.” Psalm 46,11

GPD 8/30/12

No comments:

Post a Comment