Thursday, August 23, 2012

Shade Tree Wisdom 8/23/12


“Don’t mourn for me now,
Don’t mourn for me ever.
I’m going to do nothing,’
forever and ever,”

          Sort of a pitiful choice, that I once read on a grave marker in a nearly forgotten little country cemetery.  Some inquiry established the fact that it was the grave of one of those sort of forgotten people.  Her name was Anna, and she was the oldest daughter.  Never married, helped raise her brothers and sisters, always there to do dishes, scrub the floor, can the garden produce for the winter.  Ready at any church affair to do the endless preparation and clean-up required, and never complaining, nor even thanked.

          Strikes me the world is full of such folks.  They are active behind the scenes, doing their jobs.  Who saw to it that the text of your drivers license is accurate?

          An example.  Yesterday I had to wait several minutes to have a prescription filled.  There was a clerk busy in the section with a cart, loaded with cartons.  One by one he emptied those cartons to put tooth brushes, ointments, bandages, aspirins, and much other stuff on the shelf for customers to pick up.  Each item had a place, and somebody had to replace items as they were purchased.  His was that job.

          The world is filled with such folks.  And it sounds sort of depressing to realize it.

          You believe in Jesus Christ as your Savior?  Then know that you are precious to Him.  Do you hurt, He knows, Do you worry? He said to cast your care on Him, for “He careth for you”.

          And look at what Jesus said in His story of the lost sheep. ”I say to you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repents.” Luke 15, 1-7.

          So let’s comfort ourselves by reading again Psalm 23, which begins with these familiar words, “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.”  And you often heard this, “His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.”

          Nonentity?  Never, precious in the eye of our dear Lord.

GPD 8/23/12

No comments:

Post a Comment