Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 12/20/11



          They report a massive snowstorm hitting areas in the Midwest right now, and we had a nice overnight rain so that the air this morning is nicely cool and rain-washed.

          It strikes me how concerned people are for the comfort and well-being of people they do not even know and may never see again.  Yet, for example, the owner of a motel along the highway to a Colorado Ski resort is quoted as saying, “We always keep several freezers and refrigerators well stocked during this season.  They may not get to ski but they won’t be hungry”.  Another, a mail carrier in Kansas, says, “I won’t be sent out in this because I’ll just get stuck, but this is Christmas, and my customers are waiting for cards, letters, and packages.  I’ll do my best to get them there by Christmas.”

          Life is made up of little things like this isn’t it?  Just this morning I was at the post office mailing several packages.  I had gone early and was there when the windows opened.  My wait in line was only 12 minutes. And the clerk, who had had a busy day yesterday, was pleasant, smiling, knowledgeable and sent me on my way with thanks.  And I imagine she also has shopping to do, and a house to decorate, and cards to send.

          An article in the paper this morning reminds people to remember the invisible people in their lives with tips and thanks at Christmas.  Mentions dog walker, night doormen, paper carriers, and the list goes on.  Just stop a moment and ask yourself just how many people stand ready behind the scenes to serve you in your daily life?  Impressive, isn’t it?

          That is the reason the Christian is ever ready to “Give thanks unto Him, and praise His Holy Name”. For it is really God behind the scenes, seeing that the world goes on in spite of the mess we make.

          Christmas, the gift of God’s Son, to be born and be one of us, is God’s gift, and that is right on time, and is our salvation.  Bless His Holy Name, Alleluia!

GPD 12/20/11

No comments:

Post a Comment