Saturday, December 31, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom The Year end 2011



          “The year You gave us is now ended.” And there is a certain sadness about leaving. Many thoughts are crowding my mind, clamoring for attention, and for possible solution, or action, or whatever.

          With my years I tend to hear the word of the Psalm,
               “Cast me not off in time of old age; forsake me not
                when my strength faileth.” Ps. 71,9

          But the psalm continues with this heartening word:
               “O God, Thou hast taught me from my youth; and
                Hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works.
                Now also, when I am old and greyheaded,
                O God, forsake me not; until I have showed
                Thy strength to this generation, and Thy
                Power to every one that is to come.” Vv. 17.18.

          Life is so interesting, isn’t it? Each day brings its joys as well as its little problems crying for a solution. It’s always enough to keep one busy, and interested, and alive.

          Here in Texas we suffered a drought that damaged crops and trees, the entire State suffered, not only from that but from many, many destructive fires that swept large areas, including some housing developments.

          I look out of my window at two stumps, each measuring nearly 3 feet across, of pine trees that have stood there ever since we moved here. 90 feet tall, and dead, and so had to be removed. (An exercise all in itself, for they stood but 12 feet from window.)

          And yet, the year is rich with God’s blessing in our lives. He granted health, mobility, activity, friends, and a Church that brings us spiritual food regularly. What more can one ask?

          So we leave the old year, look forward to the new, and ask God to bless the going always. May it be so in your house too.

GPD 12/31/11

No comments:

Post a Comment