Thursday, December 8, 2011

Shade Tree Wisdom 12/8/11



          Yes, I was out this morning walking and greeting this cold day. I will admit I did it, instead of wishing, I mean I wore a sweater under the jacket, and also a pair of gloves. I have nothing to prove and will do anything for my comfort these days.

          Before worship last evening I was looking at the Chrismons on the tree there in the corner, and I wondered about their origin, and why many Christian churches use them during this season.  A little research showed that the term “Chrismon” is copywrited by Mrs. Frances Spencer in 1957. She had originated the concept and used it at Ascension Lutheran Church Danville, Va.  Chrismons are patented designs and are hand made in white or gold. White for the sinlessness of Christ, gold for His glory. Sometimes there may be a touch of red for the blood spilled at death.

          Chrismons are often a fellowship and a Christian education project.  The symbols used represent many theological and biblical concepts, and we can and do learn some of the background Christians have always used for identity. In ancient times, for instance, a man meeting a stranger would maybe draw a fish in the dust. If the other responded, he knew he also believed Jesus Christ was Savior.

          For us, let it be just one more reason to worship during these Advent times of preparation and awaiting the coming of Jesus, the Son of God, “Born of Mary”.

GPD 12/8/11

No comments:

Post a Comment